Summer in North Carolina is a time when your garden delivers an array of color and texture, not to mention attracting beautiful butterflies and hummingbirds. Whether you plant summer-blooming perennials or annuals that bloom all summer long, your yard can be a sea of color with some careful planning. When deciding on your garden landscape, you can choose from a variety of options, from tall flowering plants, small flowering shrubs, or gorgeous blooming ground cover plants. If you’re looking for the best flowers that offer a parade of color all summer long, check out these easy-to-care-for bright, colorful blooms that will be garden stunners for years to come.
- Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia)—A tall flowering plant with bright yellow flowers that last all summer.
- Cosmos (Cosmos Bipinnatus)—True annual flowers that bloom from spring to fall. This plant has large, showy, colorful blooms that last from late spring until frost.
- Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium)—These flowering perennials have feathery foliage, fragrant showy flowers, and a long blooming time.
- Ornamental Onions (Allium)—Producing purple globe-shaped flowers on the end of a long stem, these perennials are excellent for cut flower displays or for dried flower arrangements.
- Ice Plant (Delosperma Cooperi)—Ice plants are ideal for providing colorful ground cover in hot, dry, sun-parched gardens. These evergreen succulents produce a plethora of purple-pink flowers.
- Lantana (Lantana Camara)—These sun loving clusters of brightly colored blooms can be yellow, orange, white, red, pink, and purple. Growing as shrubs or as creeping groundcover, Lantana is a beautiful low maintenance perennial.
- Dahlia—Perennial flowers that bloom from spring to fall. This plant has large, showy, colorful blooms that last from late spring until frost.
- Coneflower (Echinacea)—The plant has large blossoms with a long flowering time from summer to fall.
- Petunias—Colorful annual plants that grow in full sun and bloom continuously from spring until fall.
- Lavender—A small flowering shrub that blooms all summer and comes back every year.
- Hydrangeas—Large flowering perennial shrub with showy flowers that bloom year on year and last all summer long.
- Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus Syriacus)—Low maintenance, sun-loving shrub that flowers relentlessly throughout summer.
- Garden phlox (Phlox Paniculata)—Perennial flowering plant with dazzling fragrant blossoms that bloom all summer until fall.
- Creeping thyme (Thymus Serpyllum)—Flowering groundcover plant for full sun that creates a carpet of purple from early summer.
- Bee balm (Monarda)—One of the showiest summer-blooming perennials with spiky red flowers that last until the fall.
If you’d like to revel in the natural beauty of the Albemarle Sound be sure to click and view special pricing and book your visit today! Guests enjoy a 3-day/2-night stay with access to the one-of-a-kind amenities offered at Albemarle Plantation. Kayak on the stunning Albemarle Sound, bike through the community and get to know the residents as you dine at the clubhouse. Take this opportunity to explore the area! After one visit we know you’ll want to call Albemarle Plantation home. Click here to view current listings and start enjoying a distinct coastal lifestyle.